WHO WE ARE:
Headquartered in Bakersfield, California, Grimmway Farms traces its roots to a Southern California produce stand opened by the Grimm brothers in the early 1960s. Grimmway is a global produce leader and the world’s largest producer of carrots. Grimmway also supplies more than 65 organic USA-grown crops, and brands include Cal-Organic Farms and Bunny-Luv. Grimmway is committed to caring for customers and employees, honoring sustainable practices and preserving natural resources for future generations.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
We are seeking a Vice President of Safety and Corporate Affairs who can successfully provide the leadership, management, and vision necessary to ensure Grimmway’s safety, worker’s compensation, regulatory compliance, process safety management, and corporate security, as well as insurance claims departments achieve the strategic goals and objectives of the company. This position reports to the Senior Vice President, General Counsel & Corporate Secretary.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- This position is responsible for managing the company’s safety and risk management function and the following compliance departments: safety, workers’ compensation, regulatory compliance, process safety management, corporate security, in addition to insurance claims.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of all State and Federally required programs including Process Safety Management, Hazardous Materials Business Plans, Emergency Response Plans, and other similar programs.
- Responsible for the creation and maintenance of all elements of the company Injury and Illness Prevention Plan.
- Oversee a Safety Department consisting of a safety manager and six safety/trainer coordinators to see that all program elements are implemented at all company locations.
- Assist senior management with identifying employee safety, regulatory compliance or process safety issues and developing appropriate loss prevention and compliance procedures.
- Interact with all State and Federal agencies as required.
- Respond to special requests from management or employees regarding hazardous situations.
- Support and oversee a ten-person Workers’ Compensation Department. Responsible for developing and implementing cost containment measures within the Workers’ Compensation Program.
- Work with Third Party Administrator and outside counsel to manage, control, and settle employee injury claims.
- Prepare reports and information for senior management detailing the results of all loss prevention and workers’ compensation programs.
- Supervise department responsible for regulatory compliance in all areas involving environmental issues.
- Supervise department responsible for implementing and maintain all required elements of process safety management for all systems utilizing chemicals (ammonia and chlorine) found on the federal Highly Hazardous Chemicals List.
- Supervise a corporate security department responsible for implementing all corporate policies regarding physical security at all fields and facilities.
- Oversee and manage the administration of all business insurance claims.
- Represent Grimmway on relevant boards, committees, and commissions to initiate and further regulations beneficial for the company and industry.
- Act as the Crisis Communication Response Plan team member (potential leader over time) in the event of an incident that rises to the level of a crisis and dictates a response from senior management.
Must be able to remain in a stationary position throughout much of the working day. Ability to occasionally move about inside the office, in food processing facilities, and in the farming fields. Ability to operate a computer and other office productivity equipment. Ability to work outdoors. Ability to visually inspect equipment and product. Must be able to work in different temperatures (working temperatures as hot as 100° to 110° F and as cold as -20° F to 32° F); must be able to work in a high noise area.